99 XL1200LTD gas/oil ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 XL1200LTD gas/oil ratio

I am doing a top-end job on this ski. SBT parts are on the way. I am blocking the the oil and going with pre-mix. (The oil hose came lose on the rear carb burning the piston and cylinder.) What gas/oil ratio should I use? I was planning to use 40:1 but have read different things.

Re: 99 XL1200LTD gas/oil ratio

I just started to pre-mix oil in my 2001 xlt 1200 with a new SBT engine and have read two mixes the first, 32:1 which I started to use in the first 2 tanks (where I am at now) and it smokes a lot at idle but not so bad when cruising but the plugs are black and sootie? looking. I plan to start mixing at 40:1 and see if it helps. I removed the converter, installed a "D" plate, but am still using the last of the YamaLube I have.

Comment

Thanks! I'll go with the 32:1 for a couple of tanks, then switch to the 40:1. I have a D plate also, didn't know I had it until I torn it down, hope I can send the one I ordered back. I'm rebuilding the carbs too. Thanks again.

Comment

Be very carefull with the carbs, there is this thing called "pop off pressure" you need to read up on before you take them apart. Are you a builder also?

Comment

Thanks, I have read and read and have a friend who is very capable of helping/advising. I ordered a pop-off pressure gauge from Rivayamaha last week and spoke with SBT Tech about the target pressure and ways to achieve it. Yes, I build residential homes.

Comment

Iam also a home builder, which explains why I have so much time to play with the toys. Things could be worse, at least we are working some, not a lot but enough to stay in the business. Good luck with the ski.

Comment

Working...
            X