Yamaha 1200 top end job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 1200 top end job

A friend of mine wants me to look at someone elses 1200 yamaha. I don't know what year, or if it is a power valve engine or not. The shop told him it needs rings or mabe a piston. I'm really good with seadoo, i've never done a 1200 yamaha. How much more work is it thana 951? I should know more about the condition of it after this weekend.

Thanks

I thing the Yamaha's are better to work on the the SD's. Pretty much the same thing without needing the special alignment tool for the engine.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

the difficulty level is about the same. The 1200r engine is a little harder than the regular 1200.
      SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
      We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
      Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Will the engine have to come out to check the top end? Is the exhaust as tricky to line up as on a 951?

thanks for the replies

Comment

If it's a non-pv, yes the motor will need to come out. It's not that hard anyway. Before anyone says it, yes you can do a top-end job on that in the hull - but lining up a three cylinder bank in the hull is not something a beginner should attempt. You'll spend 3x as long fightin with it as if you'd just pulled it in the first place.

If it's the pv 1200, that's easy to do in the hull, each cylinder is separate. It's still ALWAYS advised to pull it out though - you should properly clean, prep and pressure check everything when you assemble a motor. You cannot do so working in the hull, parting it together.
          SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
          We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
          Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

amen ot that. I spent two hours trying to get a ZXI 1100 cylinder on before I pulled it out and did it in 5 min.
            Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Thats why the 951 kicks *** . I've done pistons in the hull, and got the cylinders back on with the factory pipe manifolds still bolted to the cylinders. BY myself. (Probably shouldn't say that on a Yamaha forum)

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X